Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lobsters and Love

Yesterday, as The Boyfriend and I spend a wonderfully quiet night at home together, I thought about the first time we said ‘I Love You’ to each other.

I had thought about how we would finally tell each other “I Love You”. Would it be over dinner, laughing together, having a great time when he would pause, give me a big kiss, and then say it? Or would it be after dinner, two glasses of red wine in front of the fireplace, cuddled up? Well, as it turns out…. neither.

The Boyfriend’s Sister got tickets to a lobster feed for herself, her man, The Boyfriend and me. I had never been to a lobster feed and was really looking forward to it. The tickets were $50 each but included lobster, all the sides, and all the alcohol you could drink. The feed was a blast. We ate too much, drank too much, and danced the night away. Finally, as the night wound down, we headed back to the car. The Boyfriend’s Sister and I pronounced that we were ready to go to the bar, and the boys were thrilled. They didn’t expect us to make it that long.

Things quickly went downhill from there.

We got in the car, I slumped over The Boyfriend’s shoulder, and The Boyfriend’s Sister had to make a couple pit stops on the way back to (how do I put this delicately?) ralph her guts up. Needless to say there was no bar for us that night. We got back to the house and crawled in bed. As I lay in bed, the walls spinning around me, holding on to The Boyfriend for fear of flying off the bed, I looked into those gorgeous eyes of his. Suddenly I blurted out “Do you love me or not?” Yeah, not quite the romantic moment I had imagined. Luckily when we woke the next morning we were able to laugh at the memory of the night before, kiss each other, and truly tell one another ‘I Love You’.

Later I found out that The Boyfriend’s Sister spent the night with her head in the toilet moaning “There goes my $50 lobster!”

The Moral of the Story: Today I love those not-quite-perfect moments with the ones we love. Don’t those always turn out to be the memories we cherish the most?

No comments: