Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mouseketeers and Molly Ringwald

The Best Friend is looking pretty hot these days. Don’t get me wrong, she’s always been gorgeous, she just has a little extra ‘va’ to her ‘voom’ lately. Now that we have a couple hours distance between us we don’t see each other as often. We have to keep up via facebook and the like. I’ve noticed a trend with the pictures she’s posted as of late – her hair keeps getting shorter and she keeps getting prettier. It made me wonder – very briefly – if that theory would work on me.

I’m impressed that The Best Friend had the guts to chop her hair again. I remember when she first experimented with cutting her hair short. We were in the days of The Mickey Mouse Club churning out pop stars. The Best Friend, whose curly hair beats mine any day, excited told me one day that she was going to go to the salon. Her mom had booked her a hair appointment the following day and she would be returning with long, golden locks ala Christina Aguilera. She did, indeed, return with the hair of a Mousketeer. Unfortunately, her short, curly hair with bleach-blond highlights was more along the lines of Justin Timberlake than Christina Aguilera. I can’t help but giggle at the memory, though I, too, have had my fair share of wearing the hair of a pre-pubescent boy.

The first time I cut my hair short I was in junior high and on my way to an ice skating party. I brought a friend with my and swore her to secrecy – I wanted to show up to the party with a chic new haircut, surprising everyone. My mother, who at the time still rocked an 80’s perm, took me to her hair dresser. I should have known that this wouldn’t be good, but childhood innocence left me in the dark. It didn’t dawn on me that I perhaps should have picked a different hairdresser until I was perusing the books in the waiting room… one 80’s cut after the other. I attempted to explain to the hairdresser what I wanted, but, being as young as I was, I didn’t realize that she needed more than ‘cute’ and ‘short’ to get a better picture. I walked out of that place with my curly hair chopped short and angular, then teased to a volume I’ve never seen before – a volume only Molly Ringwald could appreciate. My friend attempted to stifle giggles while I attempted to hold back tears. I spent that ice skating party tugging a hat as tightly over my ears as possible, though I swear my hair was teased and sprayed to the point that the hat stood three inches above my scalp.

The Moral of the Story: Today I Love Mouseketeers and Molly Ringwald. I just don’t want to look like either.

4 comments:

citymouse said...

Visiting from SITS.

I don't think you can be a warm-blooded woman without some hair horror story. Lord knows, I've had my share. Although, unlike your ability to know immediately that a style is way off the mark, I seem to end up liking mine and it isn't until months/years and many photos later that I realize what a fool I've been! (The time I dyed my (brown)hair black and teased it to resemble Oprah's alla 1990.)

Anonymous said...

He he he :) I love it! Man we went through some really bad hairstyles there for awhile, I have pictures of that teased up look from our trip to Booneville..... Oh the memories. My hair was awful what was I thinking? Luckly I've managed to stuff those pictures under my bed away from the wondering eye :) Let's decide right now to never go back to those bad hair days:)
Love you,
The moral of this story...........I love old memories with my best friend :)

Melanie Bockmann said...

I feel your pain...one time I went to a hairdresser and requested "bangs"... I left with a mullet. It took like 2 years to grow it back!

So...are you going to take the plunge and go shorter or not? ;)

A Potluck A Day said...

To chop or not to chop?
This time I'm going to say no and stick with it! I go through the same cycle... I'll cut my hair short, swear I'll never do it again, get bored with my hair and chop it short again. Not this time though!