Thursday, October 22, 2009

Adventures of a New Job

Ever since I started at the chocolate store I’ve doubled my caffeine intake. I noticed today that I have a pattern. I, of course, have my morning triple latte. What happens now that’s different is when I go to work I have chocolate… for breakfast. Now my afternoon crash is even bigger. I find myself reaching for the coffee pot around noon, and again around 3. And of course, nothing goes better with a mid afternoon cup of coffee than a piece (or five) of chocolate. I’m stuck in a vicious cycle of caffeine and sugar.

Today was one of those days where each person who entered the store is more frustrating than the next. In the store there are two counters to help people at. Today I was the only person in the front and not one person, not two, but three, three, people walked into the store at different times throughout the day, walked up to the empty counter across from the one where I stood patiently waiting to help customers out and stood, waiting for help. Really? Did they not see me standing there? Another person walked up to the counter while I was packing a box, picked up a piece of chocolate right out of the box I was packing and said “Can I eat this?” I informed him politely that he could for $1.85 as we don’t do samples. He set the piece of chocolate down and walked away. He seemed to think it was completely appropriate to man-handle the chocolate then place it back in the box for me to sell to some lucky person. I hope he doesn’t work in food service.

Yesterday I butt dialed The Boyfriend while I was at work. I laughed and didn’t think anything of it. That is until today. Today I butt dialed The Ex. Ironic, I know. I wouldn’t have known except I got a text from The Ex saying “Sorry I missed your call, I was in a meeting. What’s up?” Then I had to awkwardly explain that I didn’t actually mean to call him. I really need to learn how to lock my phone better. The phone locks automatically but you only have to hit the center button for it to unlock. Somehow my butt managed to unlock my phone, open my contacts list, locate The Ex’s number, and hit send. I’m actually pretty impressed with my butt. Irritated, but impressed. I wonder what I was talking about when I left that message….

P.S. Today I ate 27 pieces of chocolate. I think I went into a sugar coma.

The Moral of the story: Today I love adventures in a new job.

No comments: