Thursday, October 29, 2009

Seeing Green

I'm going to be Poison Ivy from Batman for Halloween. A group of eight of us are going to a party at a winery built like a castle and each one of us is going as a character from Batman. I chose Poison Ivy thinking it would be pretty simple to find a cute costume. I was wrong. Three weeks and $200 later I almost have my homemade costume done.

I was trying the gloves on at The Boyfriend's house the other day and his dad gave me quite the review.... he told me I looked "like a high-class call girl". I'm still not sure if it was supposed to be a compliment or not... and he only saw the gloves, imagine if he'd seen the whole costume! Have I told you about the costume? After several failed attempts to locate a cute Poison Ivy costume, I decided to make it myself. I then discovered that green is apparently not in style right now. I settled on white with the great idea to dye it green. I bought a white corset and a pair of boy shorts (yes, I'm wearing underwear for Halloween). Along with the corset and boy shorts I purchased some above-the-knee black boots. I love these boots. I want to marry these boots. I also have a green cape and, of course, a red wig.

Now, I don't know if you've ever dyed anything before but it's an interesting process. I had several pots and pans boiling on the stove top with varies garments in each one, all covered in a bubbly green liquid. I felt like a witch. After carefully following the instructions I pulled the boy shorts out and, voila! The perfect green! I excitedly grabbed the pot with my corset, expecting to see the same, and.... blue. Robin's. Egg. Blue. Shit! I dyed it again. Deeper blue. Unfortunately at the end of the process I had to go to work and I knew that I didn't have time to attempt dying again before Halloween, so I left it up to The Boyfriend. He spent an entire day dying and re-dying that damn corset before he was finally able to get it green. He went to work that day his hands dyed several shades of blue and green. What a great sport.

The Moral of the Story: Today I love Halloween

No comments: