Saturday, October 10, 2009

Farewell to a Frenemy

It’s been one day, eight hours, and eleven minutes since I quit smoking. I’ve been telling myself I’m going to quit ever since I started again. It was hard to make the decision because, I’ll be honest, I love smoking. Ask any smoker and they’ll tell you the same.

I have so many good memories with my cigarettes. I remember in high school every morning two of my girlfriends and I would drive to the woods after PE and smoke cloves. I remember sitting on the back patio of my best friend’s house, smoking Camel Lights and playing drinking games until the wee hours of the morning. My brother and I bonded over hand rolled cigarettes. A cold morning and a cup of coffee just doesn’t seem the same without my little nicotine fix. And now, after all these years, cigarettes and I are breaking up.

I have to be honest, they weren’t all good times. A hangover is intensified when a night of drinking is mixed with chain smoking. And the truth about coffee and cigarettes? It’s a bit like drinking a gallon of prune juice. These are the things I’m not going to miss. These plus the smell, the lingering taste, the general grossness of it all. There’s a reason why I used to refer to myself as a ‘dirty smoker’.

I don’t think I’ll ever get over cigarettes. We’ve had a rocky romance with lots of ups and downs but I know that, unfortunately, I will always have fond memories. It’s like that ex boyfriend we’ve all had – so bad for you yet you keep coming back for more. Not this time though. This time it’s over for good.

The Moral of the Story: Today I love letting go

No comments: