Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rainy Days and a Season of Scurry

It’s raining. Every year I dread the day that the skies open up and begin their annual downpours. I love the fall so much that I hate these first signs of winter. Fall to me is a season of slowing down. People bundle up and take leisurely walks with loved ones. They stop and look at the changing world around them. They take the time to enjoy life. Then the rain comes and in an instant it’s over. Suddenly people are scurrying about, running to find cover, scrambling to open their car doors before they completely soak through. No one has the time to stop and enjoy their surroundings or the people around them. I feel like it’s one of those black and white montages where the scene is played in fast forward with whimsical music playing in the background.

I claim to hate when it rains and complain all season. And I do – I hate it for all the reasons above. I hate running through the rain, soaking wet. My carefully flat ironed hair curls within seconds and my makeup runs off my face. I hate getting the bottom of my pant legs wet and watching that water creep all the way up to my knees.

The truth is, I secretly love the rain. I love walking into a toasty home and shedding those wet outer layers. I love the sound of the rain falling on the rooftop. I love spending a cold, rainy day curled up by a fireplace reading a book with a glass of hot cocoa (or better yet, red wine). Those hibernation days are some of my favorites, spending too many hours in bed under warm cover. These days are made all the better when spent with that special person.

I wish I could spend the day with the one I love. I know exactly what we would do all day – nothing. Just lay next to each other and be satisfied that we had one another. Unfortunately my love will have to wait for this weekend. That’s the problem with being with someone who lives hours away. So for everyone who has their loved ones with them, take advantage of it. Be lazy, spend all day in bed with that person you love. Do it for me because I can’t. You’ll find my curled up with my dog instead, watching a romantic comedy. Wow, I really am a walking cliché.

The Moral of the Story: Today I love the weekends (and the rain, though I’ll never actually admit it.)

No comments: